Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Insulation

Started to install R19 in walls. We woke up & wow the cold came in the night. We could see our breath in morning. So I decided to move my attention to insulation. I will leave all bays that need plumbing or electrical or any other framing needs. I will try to get in as much as I can. Wow after three days all I could fill in was done. Big difference it is now just chilly in the mornings when we wake up.
As I get more in it is getting better. The cold nights are not so cold.
 Still have a log way to go but moving along.


Working my way around the house. Ladder & stapler in hand.
kitchen is insulated tyvek installed over it. all walls are done ceiling also. Have about half of the house to tyvek & we will stop heating the world outside us.
 Garage is finialy done.
 Cleaning up mess.
Bedroom & living area.
Kitchen & temp sink.
Range & shelving.
Living room & bedroom. 

3 comments:

Susan said...

We're not doing the work ourselves, but we just got the insulation finished in our attic conversion. It immediately made a difference--in this case, hotter! The AC isn't running yet, but I could sure feel the difference. In our area, code requires R-30. The only way to get that in the ceiling was to use foam or else they would have had to put in new 2 x 10 rafters. Here's the link in case you want to check it out http://mimiswardrobe.wordpress.com/ I haven't posted pictures since they finished insulating the walls, but there are photos of the foam insulation in the ceilings.

I know you're glad to be getting ready for winter! The paper had a story today about the early snowfalls out West. I'm sending warm thoughts your way!

Susan said...

Mark put this comment on my blog and asked me to post it, which I did, but finally realized I should add it on his own blog as a comment:

"All please post that I am unable to send photos of progress. I do not know if it is satilight dish or what. just want all to know we are ok. did not make it in time for winter we have 7 plus inches holding 40% working as fast as i can to get insulation in. Made run this morning for a pallet. will instaLL TOMORROW. we are holding our own. Wiull keep in touch but can not update website so letting you know please pass on. We have solor power system in house but can not install!!! Generater I will work on next god help us if I do not get hooked up before we go dowm. Say a pryer for us i heve decided insulation is more inportant than power.
Mark & Bev"

Anonymous said...

Thank you for your thaughts we are making good progress mthis week about half done. Internet is working agian. Satlite dish does not like the snow & ice.
Mark & Bev